Friday, January 11, 2013

Day Eleven -- A Dream And A "Dream"


First off, I’ll describe the literal dream:

I had this dream this morning that I was staying with my mom and my sister was there too and I knew there were aliens living in the walls but no one believed me. Then I was in the kitchen about to plug something into the outlet but I dropped the plug in water so I dried it off the best I could and plugged it in anyway. Nothing happened so I walked away for a bit but then I heard a noise and turned around. There were blue flames sputtering out of the outlet I yelled for someone to go get the fire extinguisher because I knew my mom had a small one in the apartment but she runs out and down the stairs to get a big one from outside. By the time she comes back, the cabinets above the outlet and stove were pretty much gutted out by the fire. Still the fire had just about put itself out and this little creature that was a bit on fire comes wobbling out and kinda leans over the bottom of the cabinet like it’s passing out and the flames die out on him as well. He kinda reminded me of an Adipose but with more shape. So I run out to go show my mom, yelling something like, “I told you they were there! Come look!” so we get there and there’s nothing. We look all through the burnt out cabinets but see nothing but charred wood. Then I remember that the central air was on when I saw him fall out of the wall and that maybe if I turned it back on it would come out again. So of course, I turn it on and nothing happens. I don’t remember much else of what happened after that.
This is an Adipose, from Doctor Who.
Just imagine it with a more defined head, neck and waist and  you'll kinda get the picture of what was in my dream.


Now for the figurative “Dream”:

I have a lot of thinking to do. I got an email from the Silver Lake Art Craft and Vintage Market informing me that I can get a permanent booth for the year for only $420 and I would LOVE to be able to have a regular gig like this. That’s only 35 dollars per month! I don’t have that kind of money and I mentioned it on Facebook. A friend suggested I start a GoFundMe.com campaign to get donations for the money needed for the booth (I am also going to add a little bit to the goal so that I can get supplies to up my inventory and mainly, to cover fees). On the surface, it seems easy enough: Ask for money, people give it to me, get the booth. The complications arise here… First, I thought maybe I should do an all or nothing campaign so that if I don’t make the full amount, no one gets charged anything and I just go about my business and just go month by month as I can afford it, even though it would be more expensive in the long run. If I go that route, I would have to have reward levels. I figured in that case I could just give gift certificates that match the donations in increments of 5, 10, 15…etc dollars. But then I worry that I don't know enough people who would support me in such a way. Also, I figure I’d have to get the money in by the beginning of February (I’m going to check with the people running the market to make sure) to be able to get the deal. I don’t know if I’ll be able to earn that much in that short amount of time.

I’m going to go ahead and do it. If nothing comes of it, so be it. I do like having the option that if I don’t raise enough then no one gets charged and with the reward levels they are getting something equivalent to their donation. That makes me feel better about asking for money. I’m used to having to do things on my own with little support. But I am always very grateful for the support I get. 

No comments:

Post a Comment